Mold 

Molds are part of the natural environment. Outdoor molds play a part in nature by breaking down dead organic matter i.e., fallen leaves, and dead branches. However, Indoor mold growth should be avoided. Molds reproduce by tiny spores; the spores are invisible to the naked eye and float through Outdoor and Indoor air. Mold may begin growing Indoors when mold spores land on surfaces that are wet. 

Mold does not need a large amount of water to grow. Just a little condensation in a bathroom or around a window sill, can be enough. Common sites for Indoor mold growth include: bathroom tile and grout, basement walls, areas around windows, near leaky water fountains, areas around sinks and toilets. Common sources of water or moisture include roof leaks, condensation due to high humidity or cold spots in a building or home, slow leaks in plumbing fixtures, humidification systems, sprinkler systems, and floods.

Besides moisture, mold needs nutrients to grow. Mold can grow on virtually any organic substance. Most buildings are full of organic materials that mold can use as "food" including: paper, cloth, wood, plant material, and even soil. In most cases, temperature is not an issue; some molds grow in warm areas, while others prefer cool locations such as bread stored in a refrigerator. Often, more than one type of mold can be found growing in the same area, although conditions such as moisture, light, and temperature may favor one species of mold over another.

Health Effects 

Inhalation exposure to mold Indoors can cause health effects in some people. Molds produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions) that may cause irritants and in some cases, can produce potentially toxic substances or chemicals (mycotoxins). Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. Mold does not have to be alive to cause an allergic reaction, whether dead or alive, mold can cause a reaction in some people.

Call QIC Environmental Service to determined if you have mold growing in you home or business. Our qualified technician will inspect the property to determine if mold growth is present. If necessary, we will take surface samples in addition to air samples to determine the type of microbial growth. All of our samples go through a third-party independent laboratory for analysis.