Where is AsbestoS?
There are many products on the market today that continue to contain asbestos. Prior to the 1970's regulations, many types of building products and insulation materials used in homes and commercial buildings, contained asbestos.
Commonly used products that may contain asbestos and could release asbestos fibers include:
- STEAM PIPES, BOILERS, and FURNACE DUCTS insulated with an asbestos blanket or asbestos paper tape. These materials may release asbestos fibers if damaged, repaired, or removed improperly.
- RESILIENT FLOOR TILES (vinyl asbestos, asphalt, and rubber), the backing on VINYL SHEET FLOORING, and ADHESIVES used for installing floor tile. Sanding tiles can release fibers, so may scraping or sanding the backing of sheet flooring during removal.
- CEMENT SHEET, MILLBOARD, and PAPER used as insulation around furnaces and wood-burning stoves. Repairing or removing appliances may release asbestos fibers, and/or cutting, tearing, sanding, drilling, or sawing insulation.
- DOOR GASKETS in furnaces, wood stoves, and coal stoves. Worn seals can release asbestos fibers during use.
- SOUNDPROOFING OR DECORATIVE MATERIAL ("Popcorn Texture") sprayed on walls and ceilings. Loose, crumbly, or water-damaged material may release fibers, as will sanding, drilling, or scraping the material.
- PATCHING AND JOINT COMPOUNDS for walls and ceilings, and TEXTURED PAINTS.
- ASBESTOS CEMENT ROOFING, SHINGLES, and SIDING.
- AUTOMOBILE BRAKE PADS AND LININGS, CLUTCH FACINGS, and GASKETS.
Asbestos Do's And Don'ts For The Homeowner ( Call Qic Environmental Service)
- Do keep activities to a minimum in any areas having damaged material that may contain asbestos.
- Do have removal and major repair done by people trained and qualified in handling asbestos. It is highly recommended that sampling and minor repair also be done by asbestos professionals. Reach out to us! QIC Environmental Service at 602-899-7742.
- Do NOT dust, sweep, or vacuum debris that may contain asbestos.
- Do NOT saw, sand, scrape, or drill holes in asbestos materials.
- Do NOT sand or try to level asbestos flooring or its backing.
- Do NOT track material that could contain asbestos through the house.
- Call QIC Environmental Service to handle pre-testing to find out if any materials in your home contain asbestos. If any of your materials test positive for asbestos, we are happy to connect you with qualified and reliable local abatement professionals. We Work with some of the best companies in the Valley